Clifton is a Woodford county community located along the Kentucky River on KY 1964. Variously known as Woodford City, Woodford Landing, Cicero, and Clifton Ferry, a town has existed at this site since 1841 when it was established for the workers at a nearby hemp factory. Clifton was also once an important river port. The name Clifton comes from the home of Thomas Railey built in 1790 on the cliff above the site of the town. The first post office opened in 1848 and the last closed in 1903.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2017 David C. Elbon