Pikeville, the seat of Pike county, was founded in 1823 on the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy River and was named, like the county, for General Zebulon Pike. The town was always known as Pikeville, although the official name of the town and post office were Pike and Piketon at various times.
Piketon was incorporated in 1848 and reincorporated as Pikeville in 1850.
The Pike post office opened in 1825, was renamed Piketon in 1829, and Pikeville in 1881.
The population in 2020 was 7,503.
Pikeville is home to the University of Pikeville and a campus of the Big Sandy Community and Technical College.
- Appalachian News-Express
- Pike County Fiscal Court
- Pike County Health Department
- Pike County Public Library
- Pike County Schools
- Pike County Tourism
- Pikeville, City of
- Southeast Kentucky Chamber of Commerce
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon