Bridgeport is a Franklin county community about two miles west of Frankfort. Settlement in the area began in the 1790s and the community was probably named for the nearby bridges over South Benson Creek and Armstrong Branch. The South Benson bridge was built circa 1810. The town was chartered in 1848. The Bridgeport post office opened in 1837 and closed in 1904.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2019 David C. Elbon