Chilesburg was a Fayette county community located where the Lexington and Big Sandy Railroad crossed Cleveland Road east of Lexington. Chilesburg was originally located at the tavern of Richard Chiles on the road to Winchester, which at that time would have been what is now called Todds Road, about a mile south. The site was also known as Athens Station, for the town of Athens, located about four miles farther south on KY 1973.
A Chilesburgh post office operated at the original location from about 1826 until 1830. It reopened as Chilesburg in 1863, moved to the new location in 1872, and closed in 1954.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2024 David C. Elbon