Settlement along the South Fork of the Licking River in the area of Cynthiana, the seat of Harrison county, began in 1775 with Hinkston's, later Ruddell's Station. Cynthiana was established in 1793 on land donated by Robert Harrison and named for his daughters Cynthia and Anna.
Cynthiana was incorporated in 1802.
The Cynthiana post office opened in 1801 (using the spelling Cinthiana in its early years).
The population in 2020 was 6,293.
The Harrison county courthouse in Cynthiana was completed in 1853.
- Cynthiana, City of
- Cynthiana Democrat (Newspaper)
- Cynthiana Harrison County Museum
- Cynthiana-Harrison County Airport
- Cynthiana-Harrison County Public Library
- Harrison County Property Valuation Administrator
- Harrison County Fiscal Court
- Harrison County Schools
- Harrison County Sheriff
- Wedco District Health Department
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon