Newburg is a central Jefferson county suburb of Louisville. The area was settled in the early nineteenth century and the town was laid out circa 1839. The adjoining community of Old Petersburg, named for a freed slave who settled there after the Civil War, merged with Newburg in 1983. Newburg was dissolved in 1987 and became part of merged Louisville/Jefferson County in 2003. A small part of Old Petersburg became Poplar Hills in 1983. The Newburgh post office opened in 1839, closed in 1850, reopened in 1864, closed in 1878, reopened as Newburg in 1894, and closed in 1902. The population of Newburg in 2000 was 20,636.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon