Peckenpaugh was a Meade county community on the Ohio River about 13 miles north of Brandenburg. The name comes from the local Peckinpaugh family, with a small change in spelling. It was in Paradise Bottom in the Big Bend of the Ohio.
The Peckenpaugh post office opened in 1883 and closed in 1913.
A few miles downstream is the site of the Ohio River Lock and Dam 44, which began operating in 1926. The upstream dam 43 was near Pilcher and the downstream dam 45 was at Addison.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon