Richmond, the seat of Madison county, was settled in 1785 and the town was established in 1798 as the new county seat, replacing nearby Milford. It was named for the town in Virginia. The Richmond post office opened in 1802. Richmond was incorporated in 1809. The population in 2010 was 31,364.
Richmond is the home of Eastern Kentucky University.
The Richmond city hall.
The Civil War Battle of Richmond was fought just south of Richmond. There is a visitor center and trails.
- Battle of Richmond Association
- Blue Grass Army Depot
- Chenault Vineyards
- Madison County Fiscal Court
- Madison County Historical Society
- Madison County Public Library
- Madison County Schools
- Richmond, City of
- Richmond Chamber of Commerce
- Richmond Register
- Richmond Tourism
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon