Benham is a Harlan county town on Looney Creek between Cumberland and Lynch about 25 miles northeast of Harlan. The town was built in 1911 by the Wisconsin Steel Corporation, a part of International Harvester, and named for the Benham Spur, a nearby ridge. Benham was incorporated in 1961. The post office opened in 1900 as Yowell and was renamed Benham in 1911. The population in 2010 was 500.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2019 David C. Elbon