Ellisville is a northern Nicholas county community at US 68 and Stony Creek about eight miles north of Carlisle. It was established in 1805 on the Lexington-Maysville Road and was made the county seat, which had been near Lower Blue Licks. (The county seat moved to Carlisle in 1816.) The site had been the farm of James Ellis since before 1782 and the site of Ellis Station. An Ellisville post office operated from 1809 to about 1824, when it may have moved to nearby Lower Blue Licks, and from 1879 to 1906.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2019 David C. Elbon