Fort Spring, Kentucky
Fort Spring is a western Fayette county community located where South Elkhorn Creek crosses the Versailles Road (US 60). A mill, store, and taverns were located in the vicinity early in the nineteenth century. The community was generally known as Slipaway or Slickaway by the middle of the century.
The Reform post office operated from 1854 until 1857. A Slickaway post office operated from 1872 until 1886, when it was renamed Fort Spring, which was supposed to sound more dignified. This name came from the 1826 stone tavern building of Lewis O'Neal that was built over a spring. The Fort Spring post office closed in 1903.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon