Muir was a northeastern Fayette county community on Muir Station Road and the old rail line near Bryan Station Road and the Bourbon county line. It was Muir Station on the Kentucky Central Railway between Lexington and Paris. The name probably comes from John Muir, an early land owner in the area.
The post office operated from 1876 to 1880 as Massie's Store in Bourbon county, then in Fayette county, then as Skinners Shop before being named Muir. The Muir post office operated from 1880 to 1951. Nearby, on the county line, was Lowe's Station, which operated from 1860 to about 1870.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2024 David C. Elbon