Saint Thomas, Kentucky
Saint Thomas is in Nelson county, about three miles south of Bardstown on Beech Fork. It was the original home of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, founded in 1812, and the Nazareth Academy. Both moved to Nazareth in 1822. Some of the original buildings remain in Saint Thomas, including the 1816 Saint Thomas Church and a cabin that was occupied by Bishop Joseph Flaget. Also at the site were the Saint Thomas Seminary, which later moved to Bardstown, and the Saint Thomas Orphanage, which housed boys and operated until 1889 when it was severely damaged by fire.
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER
© 2023 David C. Elbon