Kentucky Atlas and Gazetteer

Berry Ferry, Kentucky
Berry Ferry, Kentucky

Berry Ferry was a Livingston county community on the Ohio River at the mouth of Givens Creek about 15 miles north of Smithland. It was established in the late eighteenth century and James Lusk operated a ferry there, followed by his wife, Sarah, after his death. The town of Golconda, Illinois was initially named Sarahville. The ferry was later operated by John Berry and his family. In the winter of 1837-1838 members of the Cherokee nation being forced west in the Trail of Tears were forced to camp in the area and cross to Illinois using the ferry. The ferry operated into the mid-twentieth century.

The Lusks Ferry post office opened in 1833, was renamed Berry or Berrys Ferry in 1834, and operated intermittently until 1921.

Near Berry Ferry was the site of the Ohio River Lock and Dam 51. The old upstream Lock and Dam 50 was near Fords Ferry and the downstream Lock and Dam 51 was downstream of Paducah near Cecil.


Carrsville, Kentucky Berry Ferry, Kentucky Rosiclare, Illinois Golconda, Illinois Ohio River Islands Wildlife Management Area Ohio River Islands Wildlife Management Area To Tolu, Kentucky To Lola, Kentucky To Lola, Kentucky To Burna, Kentucky To Birdsville, Kentucky Mantle Rock Nature Preserve Livingston County Wildlife Management Area and State Natural Area Livingston County Wildlife Management Area and State Natural Area State of Illinois
SEARCH THE KENTUCKY ATLAS & GAZETTEER

© 2022 David C. Elbon